What a changing world we live in! Following the government’s announcement last night regarding closure of places where people congregate, it seemed a good time to update everyone on psychological services.
Psychological therapy, as per all health services, are considered to be an essential service. Therefore, it is fine to keep your appointment, unless you are in a more susceptible group.* If you do fall into a susceptible group, your session can be by video link (Coviu) or phone and will be covered by Medicare. If you are not in a susceptible group, but wish to attend by video or phone, this is available to you. You would, however, need to provide credit card details so the session can be billed (as Medicare will not presently cover it). As a profession, we are lobbying the government to provide services to everyone by Telehealth, and it is hoped that this will occur in the next week or two. Until then, it is business as “usual”.
Psychology ONE takes hygiene very seriously. We regularly wipe surfaces with disinfectant, spray door handles and other points of contact with disinfectant, observe a 1.5m distance rule, and we have hand sanitiser for patient use before and after your appointment. Please do not come to the clinic if you have any cold or flu symptoms AND have traveled within the last 14 days.
People who are in more susceptible groups should not attend the clinic and can have their session by video-link or phone. This includes:
- People who are aged over 70 years old.
- People who are Indigenous and aged over 50 years old.
- Women who are pregnant.
- Parents with a baby under 12 months old.
- People who are immuno-compromised.
- People who have a chronic health condition (e.g. diabetes, heart disease, or lung disease).
- People who are required to isolate for 14 days due to known contact with a person who has COVID-19.
- People who are required to isolate for 14 days due to returning from travel overseas.
- People who are required to isolate due to a diagnosis of COVID-19.
If you do fall into one of the categories above, please text or call the day prior to your appointment, to organise your session by Telehealth. Please call if you wish to clarify any of the above. It is important to look after physical AND mental health at this time, and our philosophy is that your psychological sessions should not be unduly impacted.